October 8, 2013

October: Learn: Service

According to the Savior of the world, "there is none other commandment greater than these."  How do we show that we "Love the Lord [our] God with all [our] heart,  with all [our] soul, and with all [our] mind, and with all [our] strength?"  And how do we show that we "Love [our] neighbors as [ourselves]?"  

Remember the Savior said that, "inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these thy brethren, ye have done it unto me. For I was hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me."

The best way for us to show our love, devotion, and discipleship to the Savior, Jesus Christ, is by the love and service we render to His sons and daughters.  Jesus Christ spent his entire life in the service of others - He ultimately sacrificed His own life in unselfish service.  Even in the final hours of his life, the Savior was teaching. It was after the feast of the Passover that Christ gathered his disciples together one last time. It says in the scriptures that the disciples began to argue as to who was the greatest among them. The Savior words were, “he that is greatest among you shall be your servant."
 
Service changes people. It refines, purifies, gives a finer perspective, and brings out the best in each one of us. It gets us looking outward instead of inward. It prompts us to consider others’ needs ahead of our own. Righteous service is the expression of true charity, such as the Savior showed.

Elder Ballard recently said, " It is my humble prayer, brothers and sisters, that we will ask in our daily prayers for the inspiration to find someone for whom we can provide some meaningful service, including the service of sharing the gospel truths and our testimonies. At the end of each day, may we be able to say yes to the questions: Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need?”